"New Year, New You!"
Yep, it’s that time of year when EVERYONE is talking about a reset. Not to be a downer, but according to a new poll, the average respondent said they keep their New Year’s resolutions for about 36 days.
That sounds about right!
How about reframing your New Year’s resolutions- choose DOABLE things you are excited about. Tiny little steps lead to a significant impact that will last 365 days, not just 36.
We came up with 10 resolutions that you can actually stick with:
- Move every day. See, we told you it would be doable! We’re not saying train for a half marathon or do five spin classes a week. Just move your body. It can be a simple change like parking at the far end of the parking lot when you go to the grocery store, maybe one lap around the neighborhood after dinner every night- or just taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator. If you avoid extra movement in your day because of aches and pains, look for a way to treat your pain. Copper Fit Rapid Relief Ankle and Foot is an ankle sleeve that wraps you up whether you need a boost of heat or a blast of cold or just need support. Compression socks are an excellent option for providing cushion and support to help with all-day comfort. Remove any excuses and start moving. Hey, if you start small, you never know- you might just end up loving it!
- 4-7-8 Breathing. Can’t meditate? Most of us don’t have the time or patience. Simple deep breaths are incredible for stress reduction and can physically calm your body down if you feel anxious. 4-7-8 breathing is as simple as this: close your lips and inhale through your nose for a count of four. Hold your breath for a count of seven. Exhale completely through your mouth for a count of eight. Repeat until you feel better. This technique recently got me through a bumpy flight! You can do it anywhere, anytime.
- Eat healthier, with less pressure. This is one of the first resolutions to go for most people. Why? Way too lofty of goals, and then the feeling of failure- then you just give up and go back to the same old bad habits. How about this: focus on just ONE meal a day that will be healthier. Swap your bagel for oatmeal; switch to a low-sugar yogurt and fruit. Make tiny little goals. Breakfast is a great way to start. And chances are, if you start your day off healthy, you might just want to continue!
- Try journaling. Keep it simple! Just write down three things you are thankful for every day. Today my three things are 1. my favorite hazelnut coffee creamer in the fridge, 2. a new Yellowstone on the DVR, and 3. my daughter's laugh. Focusing on the good is an instant mood lifter and starts the day with a grateful heart.
- Read more. Why aren’t we reading more? Because we are scrolling! What you read is how you are feeding your brain. Whether it’s a mystery, astrology, or a feel-good story, your brain engages in multiple brain functions when you read, keeping it sharp!
- Pay attention to what your body is telling you. We are all guilty of this- your back gets sore from sitting at your desk, your knee hurts when you are going on a long walk. But we ignore these little aches and pains because we are just too busy and distracted until they are big aches and pains! The resolution: don’t wait, deal with them now! Sore back? Check your workstation- do you have the proper ergonomics? Copper Fit Posture support can do wonders to help you keep your posture correct and lessen back pain!
- Add an easy detox into your day. A resolution like “I’m going to do a three-day green juice detox once a month”- not sustainable. How about an easy, daily detox? We got this one from Gwyneth Paltrow, you know the queen of curiosity, always uncovering ways we can age gracefully- and fiercely! Before her morning coffee, she first has some freshly squeezed lemon in warm water. It “wakes up” your digestion system and gets things moving, among the many benefits.
- Start taking care of your feet for better support- If you have ever had foot pain, you know how painful it can be. This year, put taking care of your feet at the top of your list. Foot pain kind of creeps up as we age- pain starts when the tendons and ligaments begin to wear, putting extra stress on your arches. Prevent aging feet by adding good arch support to your shoes like Copper Fit Work Gear Comfort Insoles. Keep those feet happy, whether for work, on a walk, or running errands!
- Spend more time with friends and family. There isn’t anything that can beat spending time with the ones you love. The problem is, life is busy. This year, get out your calendar and make a standing date with every person you want to see more often. A Tuesday walk with your best friend, a once-a-month family dinner. Schedule it, make it happen. You will NEVER regret it.
- Learn a new skill, take on a new hobby. Hobbies do so much for us- they keep us learning, keep us adaptable, and boost our confidence when we master something new. Another bonus is that they keep us away from unhealthy patterns, like sitting on the couch with Netflix and a glass of wine way too often. (Guilty!)
So, we said 10 resolutions, but here’s one for good luck because it’s just too important to leave off:
11. Laugh every day. Turn on your favorite funny TV show, spend more time with your funniest friends and family because laughter makes us happy and has real physical benefits. Hey, it’s proven! According to Mayo Clinic Research, laughter can increase oxygen to the heart, lungs, and muscles, increase the endorphins released by your brain, improve your mood, and reduce physical pain. New Year’s goal: Laugh a lot. EVERY DAY!
Head into the New Year with plans for a bright and vibrant 2022 with small changes that you can stick to. Copper Fit is here to help, find our complete list of products at shopcopperfit.com
Happy New Year from Copper Fit!